Saturday, March 30, 2013

This and That around the house

For those who have been following our move to Rhode Island, you know we bought used furniture and I have been debating about whether I would paint or refinish it. It's in relatively good condition and refinishing is definitely do-able. But I tend to like the re-purposed, shabby chic look. In my mind I knew that staining/re-finishing would be the easier job, but was still unsure.

Well, Tommy finally voiced his preference, so I began the re-finishing process. Even though the furniture is sturdy and sound, is is very soiled from age and use. So the cleaning and preparation for  the task will take awhile. I began that task today. Hopefully, I will complete one chair per day. Seriously, this is a time-consuming endeavor.

Here is a picture of the first one



Along with my work on the chairs, Tommy began constructing a picture ledge for our bedroom. Those of you who have been in our home in the past, you know that I love to show pictures of our grandchildren. Well, landlords frown on so many nail holes so we asked permission to hang ledges to display our pictures. We got the idea from a magazine and "tweeked" it to meet our need.  Tommy got a pretty piece of wood trim and backed it with another piece to hang on the wall and place our pictures on the ledge. No matter what size or shape, they "hang" evenly and safely. Cool idea and such a sweet husband to once again bring my magazine pictures to life.




When I finish painting and hanging it, I will take more pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment